ReadOSM is an open source library to extract valid data from within an Open Street Map input file. Such OSM files come in two different formats:
- files identified by the .osm suffix are plain XML files.
- files identified by the .osm.pbf suffix contain the same information, but adopt Google's Protocol Buffer serialization format and thus requiring much less storage space.
The ReadOSM design goals are to be:
- simple and lightweight
- stable, robust and efficient
- easily and universally portable
- making the whole parsing process of both .osm or .osm.pbf files completely transparent from the application's perspective.
ReadOSM is structurally simple and quite light-weight (typically about 20K of object code, stripped).