libquicktime is a library for reading and writing quicktime files. It
is based on the quicktime4linux library, with the following
* Sourcetree upgraded with autoconf/automake/libtool and all the
other stuff, people like in "standard" linux libraries.
* All 3rd party libraries (jpeg, OggVorbis) were removed to reduce
download size, compilation time and code duplication on users harddisks.
Instead, the sytemwide installed libraries are autodetected by the
* All codecs have been moved into dynamically loadable modules.
This makes it possible to distribute closed source codecs (or codecs
with an incompatible license) as separate packages.
* Unlike other quicktime libraries, we are source compatible with
quicktime4linux. Programs like cinelerra or xmovie can be compiled with
libquicktime (if the build system is modified, see our web page for more
* The codecs themselves are also source compatible with
quicktime4linux, so porting codecs between quicktime4linux and
libquicktime requires only little brain load.
* Special API extensions allow access to the codec registry.
Applications can get important information about the codecs, their
settable parameters etc. at runtime.